Importing to Ecuador from the USA is an opportunity to enter a new very profitable market for your business. However, importing from the United States does not lack regulations, costs, and huge processes.
It takes a little research to make sure your imports comply with the regulations of the country of origin and the United States. Fortunately, adsgroup.com will provide you with all the information you need. Documents required to export from the USA are minimal, whether you choose to ship by sea or air.
Import to Ecuador from USA
Importing products from the USA has become a viable option for many people who want to develop a profitable business and, at the same time, contribute to the development of this country.
The demand for products not available in the domestic market is growing every day, and this is where business opportunities arise.
What products does Ecuador import from the United States?
To obtain the maximum benefit, it is necessary to analyze which products are the most demanded in Ecuador and the cost to import them. Therefore, below is a summary of the main products imported by Ecuador:
- Organic chemicals and pharmaceuticals
- Electrical machinery, plastics and their manufacture, machinery, and equipment
- Publishing products for the press and graphics industry
- Wooden or metal furniture
- Kitchen items
- Clothing and footwear
Documentation required to import from the United States to Ecuador
To import from the United States to Ecuador, it is necessary to complete a series of points:
- Obtain the RUC (Registro Único de Contribuyente) issued by the SRI (Servicio de Rentas Internas).
- Acquire the digital signature and authentication certificate from the Central Bank of Ecuador, as well as the security data, entering http://www.securitydata.net.ec and www.eci.bce.ec/web/guest
- Register on the Ecuapas portal:
- Customs broker shall clear the goods and inform the importer which ones may or may not be imported. Likewise, customs broker shall inform about the specific requirements such goods must meet, in accordance with the legal requirements.
Transportation cost from Miami to Ecuador
All import costs from the United States, especially from Miami to Ecuador, depend on transit time, size parameters, and transportation requirements. If you need specific costs, please contact us at our offices.
Additional costs to consider when importing from the USA to Ecuador
Depending on the nature of the goods, it may be necessary to pay a special tax on the same taxable base (CIF price + ad valorem tax) when importing from the USA to Ecuador. Specific duties and discounts may also apply, according to the scope of application established in each case.
In cases where importation is allowed, second-hand goods are subject to an additional surcharge of payment equal to 50 percent of the customs duties, in addition to the taxes levied, depending on their nature. However, Regulation 3 of the National Customs Tariff Act provides for exceptions.
Taxes and customs duties by product
An additional 15% duty (the customs value of the goods + ad valorem tax), gold, platinum, and ivory products. Jewelry, natural, or synthetic precious stones. Fine carpets, fine rugs, fine tapestries, and other related articles certified as such by the USA Internal Revenue Service.
An additional 50% tax (the customs value of the goods + ad valorem tax) will be charged on fireworks, firecrackers, and other pyrotechnic articles (except those used for industrial, mining, agricultural, and light-signaling purposes).
Transit times (air and sea)
Two main shipping options are air and ocean freight:
Air transport transit time:
Fast: a cargo plane will bring your stuff from the USA in just 2-3 days.
Slow container ships often take several weeks to complete their journey, so make sure to plan well in advance.
Major ports (air and sea)
Among the major import airports are the Mariscal Sucre International Airport in Quito and the International José Joaquín De Olmedo in Guayaquil.
Also, the most important maritime ports are Puerto Bolivar, Puerto de Guayaquil, Puerto de Manta, Puerto de Barão and Puerto de San Lorenzo. In the near future the port of Posorja will be the most important in the country.
Free Trade Agreements
On December 8, 2020, Ecuador and the United States signed the Protocol to the Trade and Investment Council Agreement, known as the Phase One Agreement.
Restrictions on importing from Ecuador to the United States
Due to restrictions, some items cannot enter the country. So, it is important to know items that cannot be brought into the country:
- Psychotropic Substances and Narcotic Drugs
- Explosives, flammable substances, and radioactive materials
- Firearms and lithium batteries
- Items requiring a cold chain to be moved (perishable foods, medicines).
- The inclusion of coins, bank notes, and other valuables such as traveler’s checks, platinum, gold, silver, manufactured and non-manufactured gemstones, and jewelry are prohibited.
Do I need insurance to ship freight?
Normally it is necessary. If you require insurance, adsgroupinternational.com and SSM Seguros will advise you of the international transport insurance that best protects your cargo, so you can travel with peace of mind, whether by air, sea, or land. This insurance provides you with:
- Benefits of NVOCC (Non-Vessel Operating Common Carrier)
- In the USA, NVOCC advantages include preferential rates, flexibility, and exclusivity for our customers, including access to our Miami warehouse at no additional cost
With over 16 years of business experience, ADS Group is a successful multinational company spanning four countries. We take care of your cargo; our Low-Cost rates are the best and we offer a selection of options to suit our client’s preferences.